Happy birthday to a music legend

One of my all-time musical heroes is eighty five today.

Take a bow, Mr John Williams. You are epic.

By Chris Devers (Flickr: DSC_0937.JPG) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
This man, this incredible man, has provided the soundtrack to so many wonderful films which have become the soundtracks to our lives.

Of course, there's Star Wars and Jaws and ET and Indiana Jones. He also wrote the music to Schindler's List, Lincoln (now there's a film for current times), Saving Private Ryan, Memoirs of a Geisha, Home Alone and many, many more. The man is a legend, bringing classical musical to the masses through these fantastically atmospheric film scores.

How can anyone not like the theme to Jurassic Park?


So when Mr Grigg and I were travelling travelling up to Heathrow last year (on our way to Colombia, don't you know) and heard a plug on the radio for a special Radio 2 Friday Night Is Music Night concert devoted to the music of John Williams, played by the BBC Concert Orchestra and hosted by film critic Mark Kermode, well, we almost stopped in our tracks.

We were just passing Stonehenge at the time. I whipped out my notebook and wrote down the details. Watford Colosseum on a school night in January. Watford? That's where my brother lives.

So I texted my sister-in-law to get us some tickets. We could go up during the afternoon, go to the concert and then stay overnight. Perfect.

And that's what we did.
Picture: BBC
From the opening bars of the Star Wars theme to the finale, I was gripped. Each piece was like one cliffhanger after another. I was an emotional wreck by the end, crying pure tears of joy.

I love the music of John Williams. And I loved the Friday Night Is Music Night concert.

And so will you. It's on Radio 2 this Friday evening.

You can listen to it on the radio or catch up with it on the iPlayer. I shall be playing it continuously until the broadcast disappears from the BBC website.

That's about it.

Love Maddie x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day