The countdown to Christmas begins in Lush Places

Every now and then, this village, this lush, lush village, jumps up and tugs on your sleeve.

'Hey,' it says. 'Remember me? I am the place where magical things happen. I am the place where the ley lines cross, where people gather and share their joys and sadness. I am the place where villagers come together to have fun.'

I've been a bit preoccupied lately, and otherwise engaged, for one reason or another. My brain has been burbling; there's been too much going on.

And then a light shines and a bell rings.

We've had the vicar leading carols around the village Christmas tree, after Dave Goulden from our local radio station, Wessex FM, did the honours and switched them on, and wonderful generosity from our new publicans, who handed out selection boxes to the children and burgers and hot dogs to anyone who wanted one.

Apologies for the photo quality but you get the picture.
 
We are blessed.

Our church is looking particularly vibrant and full of life this year. Not that I'm religious but I love the building's architecture, its history and the fact that it's been a community hub for hundreds of years before the words 'community hub' were invented and then put together. And, besides, all that singing and the bells...

Anyway, eighteen Christmas trees have been decorated by various organisations in Lush Places, including the community shop, the post office and short mat bowlers. Each tree is wonderful and tells a great story, which I find out as I make my way around while the organist plays my favourite carol, In The Bleak Midwinter, based on a poem by the English poet Christina Rossetti.

We've got our shop manager's head on an angel's body and the young farmers' tree stand is a pair of wellies. The Jubilee Group, which organises the annual fun day, has corgis wearing crowns in among the branches and the Over 60s' one is full of bus passes and raffle tickets. The village school has each pupil's face in a bauble, there's a duck at the foot of the cricket club's tree and pots of jam and music sheets from Jerusalem on the WI's tree.

There is wit and fun. The attention to detail is brilliant. They've been doing a similar event for years in Bridport but this is the first time we've done it.

Entry is free with donations to the Grade II listed church's upkeep and improvement and to Autism Wessex.

Here's a round-up:
  
  Only in Lush Places would our village hall be called Comrades Hall.
That's about it.

Love Maddie x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day