Corfu, now and then and Then and Now

I'm here in Corfu trying to write a book about our big fat Greek gap year.

It ought to be easy. I've lived it, taken a whole host of photos and made note after note after note. Hades, I've written some of it already. But it isn't easy. The problem is that so much happened in the last twelve months, I almost don't know where to start.

Maybe the beginning. That's as good a place as any.

I need to stop editing as I go along and just do it. Then I can edit afterwards. But it's easier said than done.

My mind wanders to what's going in the book and what isn't. There is enough material for a sequel already, and maybe another one.

I think about Corfu and how much it has changed over the years. And also how much it hasn't. There are some views of the island which haven't changed very much at all. And then some which have changed completely.

This was brought home to me when I saw the cover of a book designed by a friend of mine, Jiannis Mourmouras of Fingerprints, featuring the photos of Michalis Kokkalis.

Jiannis has cleverly melded two pictures into one, with a only a tear of paper separating the two.
Inside, are images of Corfu from years ago looking out across the facing page to the same scene in the present day.

You can take a look at some of them on the Images of Corfu website here. The book costs £25 (plus £5 postage in UK and Europe) and is available from Corfu bookshops. You can also get the book by emailing imagesofcorfu@gmail.com specifying Then and Now in the subject header. They will send you a PayPal email payment request where you can pay using a secure payment system.

And, in the meantime, while I wait for my copy to arrive, I must stop procrastinating and get on with my own book.

That's about it.

Love Maddie x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day