Mythical Ithaca


The fisherman sings as his boat swings into the small bay at Polis, Ithaca. His chugging boat is laden with a good catch.

Mr Grigg washes down the decks as I prepare breakfast of fruit, yoghurt and honey. There is a tinkling of bells as the goats wander down to the water's edge to nibble on seaweed.

The sun has taken a long time to rise above the steep slope to our port side. But the water is nice and warm. And the fish - those that have evaded the fisherman's net - swirl and swish their silvery sides, back and forth, back and forth.

Polis is a magical place. Here in a cave - its roof collapsed now following an earthquake - twelve geometric tripods, similar to those described in the Odyssey, were once found, along with terracotta masks dedicated to Homer's hero.

A trip to the archaeological museum at Stavros beckons, along with lunch at the garden restaurant, Polyphemus.

If the Ithaca of Odysseus really existed, then surely this must be it.

That's about it.

Love Maddie x

Comments

  1. Oh my.. it sure sounds like it. Lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! So sorry I didn't get to see you. Will follow avidly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great writing Margery - can picture, feel and smell it as if I were there! Do you plan on adding any photographs? X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely imagery, I will follow you through your magical year in
    Aghios Magikades.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day