So this is Christmas - and what have you done?

I walk up to the village hall to our 'outreach' post office. We've had two sessions a week since losing our post office a couple of years ago.

'Tai chi?' says our district councillor at the door.

'Sorry, no, I've only come to post a letter.' She seems a little too eager to rope me into something I really don't want to do.

So I get in the queue to send off a very late Christmas card to an old Bridport friend now living in Australia. A dour Mr Putter is standing behind me and in a hurry but I stand my ground because I've got things to do, people to see.

And then I become aware of the relaxing, oriental music. I turn around and look across into the main body of the hall. A crowd of grey-haired onlookers are gazing wistfully at the gentle scene unfolding before them.

Six ladies are doing a tai chi demonstration, arms slowly revolving and legs-a-pointing like some very weird line-dance routine.

The music stops and the hall is buzzing, with people exchanging Christmas cards and gossip.

We may have lost our shop and pub, but this community is still thriving. We've got the Village Hall Arms coming up on Christmas Eve. And with a can-do attitude, who knows what the new year will bring?

So I wish you good tidings to you and your kin. And a selection of photos from my year.
























That's about it.

Love Maddie x

Comments

  1. Did you really have the fish pedicure? Can you write a blog post about that?

    Happy Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas!
    It's been quite a year - loved your year in pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that dome just up the road in Littleplaces?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well spotted RB. And that amphitheatre is in Trumpton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you're being silly, as if I don't recognise the rear facade of The Hope and Anchor when I see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year, to you, your family and the Enchanted Village.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pictorial record of the year. Have a fab time! And yes you're very welcome to come up to the smoke and stay with us

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a beautiful way of transporting your readers across time and space to when things were simpler. When people were kinder and gentler. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As usual I enjoyed your blog, have a great New year Ella.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day