The Enchanted Village does the royal wedding

The cuckoo flowers are in drifts across the fields There are dandelions, nettles, honesty. Bluebells line the banks and a new baby is born to the Sheepwash household. Welcome to the world, little one.

In The Enchanted Village, the lovely Mrs Bancroft and I are planning a mad hatter's tea party to celebrate the impending nuptials of Prince William and Kate Middleton. My friend, Tuppence, has helped me collect lots of pretty china and we'll dot it around long trestle tables lined with union jacks, jelly, sandwiches and cake.

As I showed Mrs B the poster I had prepared for the event, she said: 'Yes, it's very nice. But you haven't actually mentioned the royal wedding.'

'Oh, do I have to?' I said like a petulant teenager.

I, you see, am by no means a monarchist. I get tired of all the hangers-on, the cap doffing, the cow-towing. But any excuse for a party and I'm right there in amongst it all. Any excuse for the village to get together and have a good time on an extra bank holiday.

And it's not about the Big Society, hijacked by the Government as if it invented community spirit. It's about people doing things together, in a spirit of oneness, cavaliers and roundheads alike.

So we're looking forward to a village party, where we can all bring food to share and marvel at our millinery magic. Although I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mr and Mrs Champagne-Charlie have been invited to the real deal.

That's about it.

Love Maddie x

Comments

  1. I suppose there were street parties for Charles and Di's wedding. My partner just remembers the coronation street parties in the 1950s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a huge royalist, I think it's a great shame there are not many street parties for the royal wedding. The trouble is, having looked into it, there are so many ruddy health and safety issues. It's simply not worth the effort.

    Instead, I shall be up at 6, dressed in red white and blue, glued to the unfolding events on the TV, eating my cucumber sandwiches and drinking tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am taking the day off from work to stay home and watch the events as I did as a kid for Charles and Di's wedding How I wish she could be here today.

    I shall create my own tea party and wish I was in England enjoyed the village party with you and your friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day