Two become a dyad, or when Hardy met Austen

Tonight, a big old Dyad Moon is suspended low in the sky. It is a deep rusty orange, with wisps of clouds like chiffon around its neck. It is nearly midnight in The Enchanted Village and there is a constant, low hum - the sound of British motorbikes trundling through on a late night Whitsun bank holiday rally.

Down the road, the lane to Bluebill Hill is strewn with homemade patchwork bunting, hung between the lilac trees, May blossom hedges and Narnia lamp posts. Tomorrow, there is to be a village wedding and a sneak preview of the marriage venue promises something akin to when Jane Austen met Thomas Hardy.

And still the British bikes hum through the Enchanted Village, as the wedding guests snuggle down into unfamilar beds and the bride tries to get to sleep after a Baileys or two, remembering that this time tomorow she will have a completely different name.

And 350 years ago tomorrow, on Oak Apple Day, King Charles II was restored to the English throne. An auspicious date for a wedding between a monarchist and his republican-bride-to-be. But take heart, the Dyad Moon signifies complementary colours, left and right, a twoness coming together as one.

There will be photos this weekend, but this is it for now. I am tired so googled for a picture of the dyad moon. This is what I got:


Which is actually kind of appropriate, I think.

That's about it

Love Maddie x

Comments

  1. What a lot is happening while your village sleeps - you've made me feel like a voyeur, as I sneak around to peek in windows at snoring wedding guests, shake a finger at the motorcyclists, sigh at the beauty of the bunting and wedding preparations.
    Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so romantic! I'm such a sap! :) I'll look forward to the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I know the Sheepwashlets are people, I have to wish them well on this wonderful day! (of course, had they turned out to be creatures, I still would have wished them well ... it just would have felt a bit more ... odd)

    Revel in the Dyad moon!

    xo Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there, this is a lovely read. When you mentioned Charles II, I had an instant flashback to my childhood of visiting Boscobel House with my parents and grandfather, when I was about eight and nine, and being told that the King hid inside a priest-hole in the house, and also up in an oak tree on their grounds. I have occasionally thought of that memory over the years but not for a very long time until I read your post. Thanks for such a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enchanting, indeed!

    My 1st post on your most enjoyable site! Ta!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No doubt the newly-wedded couple will treasure your account of the Night Before The Wedding as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day