A virtual tour of The Enchanted Village

I've just been for a walk around the village. It is May, the gypsy lace is in flower, there are wallflowers outside my house, Mrs Regal Bird is rubbing down a piece of furniture outside her garage, Night Nurse has a female visitor on her doorstep and the man down the road is walking his Lassie dog past our neighbours-to-be, Mr and Mrs Champagne-Charlie's,although they haven't moved in to their house yet.

A van is parked where it shouldn't be while someone has a crafty fag and Nobby Odd-Job's neighbours have BT Open Reach in. MDF Man has parked in the field at the back of his house, the pub is shut and two people are getting out of their cars outside the village hall, which is bedecked with bunting. I can see Mr Grigg's Freeloader with a bag of garden rubbish in the back. Luckily for him the car is parked outside the right house - ours.

I know it is May because there are signs on the village green fence advertising coming events.

Am I mad? Have I gone back in time? Well, yes, kind of. I have been on a tour of The Enchanted Village courtesy of Google Street View, which now has 95 per cent of the country covered.


You just put in a location into Google Maps and then click on to the little yellow peg man and start walking.

It's a weird experience, and I don't like it much. Places caught in time, for people to peer into every nook and cranny.

Pelly Sheepwash will be pleased to know her lane isn't covered so the Sheepwashlets could be up to all sorts of mischief and no-one would know. Quite right too. I have zoomed into my window but can't see myself looking out. That might be a paradox.

That's about it

Love Maddie x

Comments

  1. Your blog names always make me laugh - they're so perfectly descriptive. I see I'm not the only one to call them 'Freeloaders' too! Off now to check our Google Street - I have a feeling I won't be able to see me either.

    PS: Tag and an award for you over at mine. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky you are not to zoom into your window and find yourself looking back! The camera car came down a street and caught one house on film just as the lady was taking out her trash. She was *not* amused to find herself "frozen in time" with a bin bag in hand.

    I don't like Google Steet View much either unless I'm going somewhere I've never been before. Then it's nice to be able to see what a friend's street looks like, for parking and such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google even came up our country road, catching a view of our coop and the goats, frozen forever in curiousity. No one lives close enough to the road to allow a view of the house, so it's a pretty dull stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just learned a neighbour was going to put up a sign saying 'F-off Google' but wasn't sure when they might be coming through and didn't think he could get away with leaving it there all summer...Shame.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day