Another pleasant village Sunday

The church clock strikes 9 as Mr Grigg ambles across the village square to get the Sunday papers from the shop. His walk holds a distant memory of a Ginsters pasty and an evening of celebrations for Oak Apple Day.

He hobbles past the village pump which, while we were looking the other way, has sprouted a cement pot either side planted with bizzy lizzies.

The sun streams through our bedroom window as if we are on holiday. Children's voices echo across the green, loud and then not so loud as they go up and down on the swings. A wood pigeon coos and a jackdaw rat-a-tat-tats. Mr Sheepwash flip-flops by with The Observer, the people up the road have their noses stuck in The Sunday Telegraph and a man from the council houses is wrapped up in the News of the World.

But this is very much Mail on Sunday territory, as the Tory posters standing proud in gardens and on windows in the lead-up to the county council elections testify. Pelly once inadvertently picked up a note from the shop which revealed who read what paper in the village. There were no real surprises. I was half hoping Posh Totty took the Sunday Sport, the new (female) Vicar Playgirl and the reactionary old colonel Hello magazine.

Yesterday, we found ourselves in Weston-super-Mare, which could just as well have been the moon. Dodging the donkeys, the sunburt Brummies and Welsh people from the valleys and a man with 'In loving memory' tattooed around his neck, I sat on a bench in the shopping street to watch the world go by. A party of Sikhs, Polish cafe workers, girls with skirts up to their navels sauntered by. Long legs, fat legs, skinny legs, high shoes, flat shoes, wedges. A man in a silk suit and a handbag, a woman with buck teeth and a look of terror in her eyes, an old lady with a pink felt hat and thick socks.

It was a far cry from the revelery of the previous night, when Mrs Bancroft and Night Nurse arrived at the door reciting a poem that goes 'Grovely, grovely and all grovely' for Oak Apple Day, Mr St John turned up wearing a crown of oak leaves looking like the Green Man and Mr Sheepwash, the least romantic person we know, got all wistful after a few wines about a scene from the film Love Actually.

In Weston, I looked up beyond the madding crowd and above the shop fronts to see ornate leadwork at W H Smith and then a few doors down the words 'Catch me if u can' written way up high by an extremely tall graffiti artist.

On our way home, we were transported to the past, overtaken by a steam train chugging along the track.

It is quiet now as I write this and the smell of barbecue smoke wafts through the air.

That's about it
Love Maddie x

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear that Mr Grigg is still suffering the after effects of the pasty dream.
    Bizzy Lizzy - I was surprised to see, when I enlarged the photo, that this is Impatience. I'd read the name in a blog and wondered what it was.
    I love to watch people - your description of the passing scene was a treat.
    It's hard to imagine so many newspapers on offer in one village. We have one newspaper for our city and this week marks the first week with no paper on Monday. Hard times in the print industry, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago on a rainy day we went to the waxworks at Weston super Mare. I think it closed a long time ago...but it was laugh out loud funny. None of the wax works looked anything like they were supposed to! They had some very antiquated old machines too -"what the butler saw" type of thing. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Entertaining blog as usual. You do seem to have fun in your village. We lived in a village for twenty years in the Vale of Glamorgan and if I were a writer I could tell a tale or two . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can never look at a Ginster's pasty now without thinking of your husband's dream.

    I love donkeys so thank you for the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a Playboy vicar? If the General Synod want people to start attending church again then this is exactly the type of vicar every church needs. Property values probably just shot up in your village as soon as you revealed you have a Playboy Vicar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pondie, yes, it is Impatiens and I get very impatient with it. Hard times indeed in the print industry, particularly local newspapers over here.
    Gail, the waxworks may have gone but Weston is very much the same, apart from the poor old pier which burnt down.
    Rose, you write, therefore you are a writer! This is a fun place but I was told the key is not to ask what the village can do for you but what you can do for the village. Seems to work here.
    Cait, I don't think I could even try any sort of pasty at the moment. We used to have a donkey on the farm in the winter on it seasonal break from Weston.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave, have you seen our vicar??!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, I was transported..with a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, like Jude have a big smile on my face. I know I am repeating myself but I do love the way you write.

    Brummies in Western SM, must be our nearest seaside resort then, I haven't checked that out since moving to the Midlands as we tend to visit the coast when in the NE. Will have to do so, I could do with a kiss me quick fix!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't the donkeys always look so sweet. I used to feel sorry for them but they are well looked after.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day