The Wild Garlic - excellence just over the hill from The Enchanted Village

Today, the Daily Telegraph stood up and shouted from the rooftops about the excellence of a local restaurant. I could hear the noise, because the restaurant is just over the hill from me. And, now that we are missing part of our roof while the builders are working on the Grigg hovel, we can hear absolutely everything.

Congratulations to chef Mat Follas, a nicer man you couldn't meet (although I actually haven't because we keep missing each other). His food is pretty good too.

Anyway, for your delectation, here's the link to the Telegraph's piece. And for all my new blog followers, I'm posting a review of The Wild Garlic I prepared earlier - from August 2009.

Mat actually responded to the piece when I posted it originally and I understand staffing issues have now been resolved. I'm looking forward to a return visit.

The Wild Garlic


Earlier this year, an IT engineer called Mat Follas won the UK television competition MasterChef. It is a gruelling contest in which amateur cooks battle it out in a long, drawn-out process overseen by presenters John Torode and Gregg Wallace.

Follas stood out because he was different. He liked robust flavours, foraged produce and unusual combinations. His food was original. It had style.

Mr Grigg is passionate about food and an avid MasterChef fan. Last week he would have done Mat Follas proud with a delicate starter of foraged puffball and local scallops with creme fraiche and fresh coriander. So he was hooked on the programme from the start. We both cook, having created dishes for paying members of the public for a short while. But I became more interested in the programme when I learned that Mat, a Kiwi, lived in the Dorset village where Mr Grigg and I had our first home. So in our house, we were willing him to win. And, after the final, when Terry Wogan described him the next day as Ming the Merciless, I turned off the radio outraged, feeling I had been personally slighted.

Since then, there have been 'will-he, won't-he' stories in the local press and nationals over Mat's ambitions to run his own restaurant. We were then reliably informed that yes indeed he was, and it was coming to a town near us. We saw The Wild Garlic taking shape every time we drove past.

'I hope he doesn't ponce the food up,' said one friend. 'Dorset people like big portions and hate paying extra for vegetables.'

When he opened the restaurant, other snippets filtered back to us.

'Well, you need to eat something before you go,' said someone we know.

'The female maitre de is shocking,' said another. 'I don't know who she thinks she is.'

A leading local restaurateur sniffed that the 'Hi guys' greeting he and three friends in their late 60s, two of whom were eminent academics, received was hardly appropriate.

So we had feelings of trepidation before we went. There is currently around a two-month waiting list for a table in the evening, although lunches are more easily booked. It is great for Mat and the area that The Wild Garlic is so busy. But it means there is a huge amount of expectation already on the tastebuds of the clientele before they even walk in through the front door. Seldom has any other amateur cook, who has never before run his own restaurant, been under so much pressure to perform. Mat Follas criticism is in danger of becoming a new blood sport in these parts.

We have now been twice - once for dinner and once for lunch. And did we like it? Well, yes thank you. Very much so. Some food combinations worked better than others, the ubiquitous goats' cheese starter wasn't very adventurous, the full length-mirror next to the lavatory in the ladies was a bit of a shock and I was a little taken aback by the welcome of the aforementioned maitre de.

But those were my only minus points. It was an experience we would not have missed.

The decor is rustic minimalist, with big chunky wooden tables and incongruous retro chairs. There is no salt and pepper on the table, which indicates a confident chef (and delighted me, because I just hate it when Mr Grigg automatically puts salt and pepper on his food before tasting it).

The menu is very short and changes according to the season and most of the produce is locally sourced. Starters cost around £7, mains about £12 to £19 (the water buffalo has just gone up by a pound) and puddings around the £5 mark. Two of my starters were sweet chilli squid, accompanied by the most wonderful salad leaves and edible flowers, and smoked venison with beetroot and berry sauce. My main courses were lamb loin with mange tout, salad, pea puree and salsa verde and a faggot tart with hedgehog mushroom sauce. The lamb, in particular, was really tasty and pink, just as I like it.

My two puddings were fresh berry mess and lavender mousse. Delicious.

Mat makes a point of coming out and chatting to the customers after he has finished cooking. This is a good habit for him to have already got into, and very much appreciated.

There is a great selection of wine, from about £15 a bottle, so we could afford to raise a glass and toast to the restaurant's continued success.

After each of my visits, I was full up. So too was Mr Grigg, whose stomach is considerably larger than mine.

So here's to another trip to The Wild Garlic - if we can book a table that is.

Comments

  1. I really liked your blog! It was nicely written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny about those expectations that people have when going to a restaurant run by a famous chef. One example is with the ever so famous, but perhaps ridiculed, Paula Deen. My aunt and uncle went to her restaurant in Charleston, SC. They had to make reservations months in advance of their trip. Unfortunately, the rumors on this occasion of the food not being exactly up to par were correct. Still, they have not ruled out a return visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite reviews ... yes my front of house has changed, Mark seems to be liked by all and has run pubs and michelin restaurants so manages to cope with my quirky setup just fine ... and the mirror has gone from the ladies too !
    Price for mains is still about the same, starters and puddings maybe £1 more ... VAT added about 10% to my total costs after you reviewed.
    Congrats on your blog award ! well deserved
    Mat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh I wish! I get so tired of the ubiquitous fusion menus that are all we seem to get here on the Pacific Rim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds fab. I'd love to go. But I'll remember to keep my eyes shut if I visit the ladies. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm. It all sounds so delicious! Coming from a foodie city like Toronto makes my taste-buds prick up at the mere mention of a wonderful new resto.

    Mat, maybe we'll have to make the trip...

    B

    ReplyDelete
  7. The language of your blog is very interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog ...
    Congratulations, it is written in an interesting way ...

    Kisses in your heart ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Might be worth checking out! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome, i've never seen a restaurant without salt and pepper on the table. i think a lot of the meal is the customer service, like him coming to your table. everything should really go together at a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds so yummy, I had thought you were going towrite about the real Wild stuff - in flower and delish! But former sounds better, though I can get to the latter in Argyll far more easily!
    CKx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love MasterChef even though I can't cook at all and I remember Mat winning! We may have to see if we can get a table on our next trip to Dorset. Congrats on being a Blogger of Note!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day