Why we'll be watching Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again at least one more time


We were sitting down watching the end credits of Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.

I always make a point of staying for the credits. I mean, if I were involved in a movie, I'd want people to see my name in lights, albeit only briefly. It's only polite.

Also, increasingly, there are often 'unseen' extras during the credits which are worth remaining in your seat for. We weren't disappointed as there's a funny bit with the comedian Omid Djalili right at the end.

As the lights went up, I turned to Mr Grigg and asked him if he'd enjoyed the film.

"Well, actually, I found it quite emotional," he said. "I cried at one point."

"Which point was that?" I asked him.

"The bit where she was walking through the olive groves. It reminded me of when we lived on Corfu for a year and I'd like to go back."

We're off on holiday there soon, so hopefully that will satiate his desire.

And then he said: "But I did get a bit confused."

Confused? The plot of Mamma Mia 2 is not that difficult to follow. It tells the story in flashbacks of how central character Donna ended up on her Greek island and became involved with the three men who could be Sophie's father.

Simultaneously, the film focused on the present and Sophie's efforts to restore and reopen her mother's hotel.

There is one tricky word in that two-paragraph summary.

"It's the flashbacks isn't it?" I said to my husband.

"Flashbacks? What flashbacks?" he said. "I just couldn't work out how the daughter had met three men just like her mother did, and they all had the same names."

It suddenly dawned on me that for the entire film, Mr Grigg had confused Lily James, the actress who plays the young Donna, with Amanda Seyfried who plays Donna's daughter, Sophie, in the present.

"But didn't you realise that the graduation scene at the beginning also features Donna's two 'Dynamo' friends when they were younger?"

"No, I just thought it was odd that Sophie had two friends who looked just like her mother's friends. They even had the same hairstyles but were younger versions."

I was speechless. The scene was clearly captioned 1979 but that must have passed him by. How could he have got it so wrong? And the fashions, hadn't he even noticed that?

"We're just going to have to watch it for a second time," he said.

Uh-oh. Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.

That's about it.

Love Maddie x


Comments

  1. Hilarious!! I could so imagine my husband doing the same thing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day