Under Milk Wood gets my vote

It's the General Election tomorrow and I've made it my business to be out in the evening.

After suffering a heart attack on Brexit eve while watching the television coverage, there is only so much I can take.

So I'm off with friends to see The Bristol Old Vic Theatre School perform Under Milk Wood in Bridport.

Says the blurb: 

Set in the fictitious fishing village of Llareggub, this twenty four hour peek into the lives and loves of the likes of Captain Cat, Polly Garter and Willy Nilly has continued to enthral its audiences ever since. With its canvas of nonsense gossip, feuds, affairs, fights, frauds and practical jokes, the play pulses with the vitality and relish of real life characters re-living their dreams and desires.

“Using Thomas’ delightful descriptions, the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School students have turned this feast for the ears into a hearty beano for the eyes.” Robin Markell, BBC

Captain Cat gets my vote every time, even if he's got a nose like strawberries.

Like many others my age (approaching fifty, but from the wrong direction), I studied Dylan Thomas's book at school. I absolutely adored it. This play for voices was nothing like I had ever heard - before or since.

The voices of my English teacher and Richard Burton are my head now, as I type these lines:

To begin at the beginning:
It is Spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobblestreets silent and the hunched, courters'-and- rabbits' wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea. 

You can listen to the whole thing on YouTube

That's about it.

Love Maddie x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day