Remembrance Day 2014

Just before 11 o'clock, I'll get up out of my chair and stare out at our village square. It's rainy now, the tarmac is drenched and there is traffic moving from all directions.

The church clock will strike eleven and all will go quiet, although the cars will still trundle through and people will still go about their daily lives.

I'll try to imagine the square one hundred years ago, on 5 August 1915, when farmers brought their horses, their much-loved horses, to be commandeered to help in the war effort.
This terrible war, and the world war that followed it, involved so many people - and horses - from all walks of life.

And so the horrors continue.

That's about it.

Love Maddie x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day