Mmmm, Greek dinner around the world this Wednesday

It's ten days into the new year and ten days since I've blogged. I'm ashamed of myself, I really am.

I hope all is going well for you so far in 2014. Me, I'm abstaining from alcohol this month and still struggling with writing my book about our year in Corfu. Should I be humorous, like Peter Mayle in A Year in Provence, or navel-gazing like Elizabeth Gilbert in Eat, Pray, Love?

I just have to be truthful, I guess, and tell it like it was. An amazing, incredible experience but tempered by heart wrenching and unexpected homesickness. I have so many notes and photos to put into some kind of order. But bits of our big, fat Greek gap year write themselves, like the wonderful landscape and the warm, generous villagers who became like a second family to us. The climate, the blue skies and the food.

Ah, the food. Oh how I love those Sunday lunchtimes of tasty, succulent roast pork in our local taverna. Or stifado next door or the best big beans in the world at the oldest taverna in the village. And fresh, grilled fish or, my favourite, octopus in red sauce at our friend's restaurant overlooking the sea at Astrakeri.  My mouth is just watering at the thought of it.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And it seems I'm not the only tucking into all things Greek. This coming Wednesday, January 15, has been designated Greek Dinner Around the World Day.

What began as a single tweet has really taken off around the world. I can see we'll be tucking into souvlakia, stifado and moussaka and maybe nibbling on kourabiedes and melomakarona, even if it is the wrong time of year.

Or maybe a meze with friends - what could be better and more sociable?

Although I might give the pig's head a miss. It looks like it could do with a bit longer in the oven.
So I'll leave you with that thought and look forward to seeing your pictures on Twitter and Facebook next Wednesday - remember the #GreekDinner hashtag.

That's about it.

Love Maddie x

Comments

  1. Such a beautiful place you're enjoying. Most of the food looks so yummy.. just not that octopus or pig's head. That gets a big YUCK from me.. but your photos are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HIlary. I managed a mouthful of pig cheek but didn't fancy the rest. But the octopus in red sauce is delicious, it really is!

      Delete
  2. Sun, surf and THAT food - what a tempting post.
    Your book - please, not like Elizabeth Gilbert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tempting indeed. Thanks for the advice, Pondside, the voice of reason as ever.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day