Back in the saddle again

I've lost my way a bit lately. Seeing the bigger picture but missing out on the detail. And it's the detail I love. In my haste to walk the dogs in the mornings before rushing off to work, I've been head down, getting on with it. No time to stop and stare.

I've forgotten to write things in my writer's notebook, phrases I hear, nature notes and things of beauty. I've not bothered to take my camera and missed all the beautiful, wonderful things around me. I've idled away down-time, mucking about on the computer, reading books I'm not that interested in. I've started to write a blog post and then abandoned it. I've been unsettled.

Yesterday, though, the old Maddie came back. I noticed a skinny fly landing on a hairy nettle leaf. I heard the coo-coo of a wood pigeon overhead, a great big thing sitting on a telephone wire. I saw what looked like the beginnings of a tipi encampment on the allotments, five cane wigwams marching across the soil ready to bear their summer loads of runner beans.

A squirrel scuttled across into Mr and Mrs Champagne-Charlie's garden, Mr F Word waddled up to the shop for his daily paper. Celebrity Farmer's dad drove by in his Land Rover and gave me a flirty wave. And then the swallows swooped across the square, helter skelter, and dived into the churchyard.

As my friend Buggles' partner said to me last night: 'You've still got stuff to strut.'

He's right. So let's get on with it.

That's about it

Love Maddie x

Comments

  1. We can't always be 'on' Maddie. Sometimes our writing mojo or ability to see detail takes a break and we just have to settle in and wait for it to come back.
    Glad yours showed up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back. You have been missed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day