Something wonderful this way comes

Today as I walk the dogs, there is a real what I call ‘a Melplash Show morning’ feel to the air.

Our local agricultural show is always at the end of August and it coincides with the slight chill and morning dew that signals the onset of autumn. The hedges are damp and smell of vegetation, decaying yet fruiting all at the same time. There are muddy puddles that sparkle with a splash of anticipation as the sun comes up. A hot air balloon drifts slowly, noiselessly, effortlessly across the Enchanted Village.

It is a Ray Bradbury story, but not Something Wicked This Way Comes. It’s called Something Very Good Is About To Happen.

I love the summer but I don’t mourn its passing. I embrace the autumn, the change in the seasons, the constant life cycle that reminds us it’s good to be alive. We are here only fleetingly but we are stardust. We are golden.

Tonight and tomorrow I will be trying to persuade Mr Grigg to come with me for an evening of adventure that will start just after midnight. I want to go to Dorset’s highest point and lay the blanket on the ground and look to the skies.

For this week, the Perseids, that most heavenly of meteor showers, are upon us. Astronomers say it could be the best show in years. Up to 80 meteors an hour whizzing through the night sky.

Bring it on.

That's about it.

Love Maddie x

Comments

  1. No way..you can't think of autumn at the end of Aug....
    as I sit here gasping and wanting to stand i the shower til I shrivel....
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a lovely idea!!! Please post about it when you do! As far as a hint of autumn....we in Texas are still in 100 degree temps! That is HOT!!! My daughter just returned home from Scotland and when she woke up and walked outside yesterday it was already 90 degrees F....back in Aberdeen she had to put on a sweat shirt at LEAST to be warm enoughtto take out the trash! Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get to go out with your blanket tonight - what a great idea. Our skies are pretty clear - I wonder if we could see it here. Must check!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, as usual. I live in Washington State, U.S.A. and that same feeling of fall is in the air here as well. Even some of the leaves on the trees have started to change. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are muddy puddles that sparkle with a splash of anticipation...

    I love this; it gave me a little thrill of delight just reading it (I do enjoy some good puddle-splashing).

    Let us know if you see the meteor showers and your thoughts on gazing at all that beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day