Come on baby, light my fire

The sound of ladders being extended against stone walls fills the square this morning as the bunting is taken down from The Enchanted Village.

It coincides with a lull in the football, a realisation that England will not win the World Cup, no matter how many times Mr Grigg wears his football shirt without washing it in between matches.

Last night, my blog characters did a little conga through the night. At a party to celebrate three 55th birthdays and a 65th, the hall was full of people eating, drinking and dancing to a very well thought-out playlist. There was Posh Totty strutting to Uptown Girl, Jamie Lee sashaying to Lady Gaga and Mr Sheepwash sliding around the floor in sandals. I was feeling rather delicate after an excess of wine the night before but got into my stride by the time Mambo Number Five blared through the speakers. All day, I had avoided being sick but that very nearly changed when the nauseating Lady in Red came on at the end.

As we sat outside in the balmy evening air and I was boring a woman silly with some inconsequential rubbish, she looked beyond me and said: 'Is that a fire over there?'

Sure enough, on the horizon, flames leapt up through the trees like a bush fire. It looked remarkably near Farmer Mayfield's house. As we all gathered around going 'ooh' and 'ahh' and then saying 'well, I wonder where that is', the ever practical Darling Loggins declared someone should investigate. So she and Farmer Mayfield set off by car down the road, closely followed by Mr Grigg who can't resist a good fire.

My first thought was that it could be the Grigg-Sheepwash-Loggins wood store gone up in smoke, set alight by those pesky kids. But nothing so dramatic. It turned out to be hedge clippings being burnt as a centrepiece to a 16th birthday party in a field supervised by some very sensible adults.

That's about it.

Love Maddie x

Comments

  1. and nobody had the presence of mind to throw that copy of 'Lady In Red' onto the blazing hedge clippings?

    now that really is scandalous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps wash the shirt before the next game - it couldn't be any worse (could it?). I'm glad to hear the fire wasn't any more exciting, but I do agree that Lady In Red should have been added to the blaze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good 'do'
    Fancy a shimmy myself, after all, by next Monday I shall be far too old..grandchild arrives within the week..I'm in Surrey..waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It could have been worse - you could have had the British version of a Country and Western band doing Johnnie Cash's 'Ring of Fire'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could have started a 'frisbee the Lady in Red record onto the fire' contest. Sadly, it was on aniPod.
    Jude, you're only as old as you feel, you know that.
    Pondside, how did you know Mr G and I had a Wild West theme for our wedding anniversary party last year?? The pair of us ended up singing 'Jackson' on the karaoke...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day