The adventures of Flat Stanley

I am feeling uninspired about village life at the moment, what with the rain falling down in sheets and my jaw aching from sinusitis. So I am going to bore you a bit more about Flat Stanley, who is currently waving at me as I type. I created him for our village scarecrow competition and he is based on the title character of a 1964 children's book by Jeff Brown.

Stanley Lambchop's adventures begin when a big board hanging on his bedroom wall flattens him in his sleep. But he survives and soon he is sliding under locked doors and letting his younger brother use him as a kite.

Stanley even helps catch some art thieves by pretenting to be a painting on the wall. He visits his friends by being posted in an envelope. Eventually his little brother, jealous of all the attention Stanley is getting, reverts him to his proper shape by blowing him up with an air pump.

During my research for the scarecrow, I came across the Flat Stanley Project, which was started in 1995 by a teacher in London, Ontario, Canada. Schools across the world take part by hosting flat visitors and keeping and sharing Flat Stanley journals, complete with photos.

Flat Stanley certainly gets about a bit, as you can see from the collage below.


And as one of the people in the photos would say, I'll be back.

That's about it

Love Maddie x

Comments

  1. Flat Stanley might like a holiday here??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved flat Stanley and in fact M&D still have my book sitting in the box for their B&B guests children. Great story. Didn't know he was as old as that though nor that his light was still shing all over the world. Thanks Maddie for the memories!
    CKx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day