Diamonds are forever (or maybe not)

The snow has melted, the sun is out and I have seen Titanic! The latter is all down to my good friend, Pelly, who practically forced me to sit down and watch it with her, Mr Sheepwash and Mr Grigg. She said it was for my own good and my OU film history studies could depend on it. It wasn't half as bad as I remembered, although Leonardo DiCaprio did look like he'd just started middle school. Sadly, the only bits of dialogue I can recall are 'this is bad,' when DiCaprio's character realised what was happening to the ship (or maybe the plot) and Kate Winslet breathlessly saying: 'Touch me Jack.' I've heard it called a Jemima before or even a front bottom but never a Jack.

Kate 'keep-your-hand-off-me-h''apenny' Winslet and a small boy do the sober or drunk test.

The end of the film prompted some debate. Mr Grigg was adamant the old lady dropped the diamond into the icy waters by accident. Pelly and I were sure she'd planned it. Why else would she have bothered to get her toenails painted for the lingering camera shot on her surprisingly young looking feet? Mr Sheepwash, like a castaway picking out a winkle, is always one to get to the real truth of the matter. He simply went to the computer and googled 'Titanic Diamond Drop'. It appears this is not the first time the argument has surfaced. The search engine came with a number of similar online debates. And the consensus was that she meant to drop it.

We are off to a party this evening, an 18th to be precise. The boy's parents have hired the village hall and are filling it with people our age, which is great for us but I'm not so sure about the birthday boy. The theme is black and white. We were thinking dinner suits and little black dresses. But Mr Grigg and I are tempted to wear the priest's and nun's outfit we used for bellringing a few years ago. Watch this space.

That's about it
Love Maddie x

Comments

  1. Fun to read.... if it's not a daft question, why did you wear costume for bellringing.. I don't remember my other half doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I so enjoyed visiting here this morning.. I saw the Titanic move a few years ago.. beautiful yet so disturbing. lovely love story it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you click on the a 'few years ago' link, PFG, at the bottom of my posting you should see why.
    Maddie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never seen Titanic....would be hoping for a happy ending (and know I'd be disappointed!)....

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, ending is sad and I cried my eyes out. Saw it years ago in the theater here in the states, beautiful set and costumes and music. And it airs here every once and awhile too on the tele. A fav film, one of many of course. :) xxx seashell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Titanic I always find a marvellous comedy. Billy Zane, such a ham; the ship tipping up at the end and all the people flying through the air; the cartoonish iceberg, and the piece de resistance, Kate Twinset squealing "Jack! Come back! Jack come back!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I believe she meant to drop it....my mother would do the same thing,"if I can't have it, nobdy else will"...speaks volumes!!!
    I do so enjoy visiting your world...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen the beginning but only the first half an hour. I know the ending and I knew I would cry, decided that I didn't need to put myself through it! Have probably seen it all in clips by now. Well done for holding out so long though! Are you still singing 'the' song?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry - I won't be watching this movie again. Kate and Leo were just plain annoying. Glad to hear that you got it over with, though, and that you can tick off that box in your OC requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made me laugh - I bet you talked all the way through it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your take on Titanic. I quite agree, Leo looked about 12 and Kate was like his Mum.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day