Backhanded compliments

What's the weirdest compliment you've ever had? That's the question posed by my friend Tuppence who says the nicest thing anyone ever said about her was 'Tuppence, the good thing about you is you don't mind having the p*** taken out of you'. Which is just as well really, as I will be soon be blogging about the time she took me headbanging with a bunch of hillbillies let out by their mothers for music night at the Honiton Motel.

Mrs Darling Loggins says she was once told after she'd had a haircut: 'Your hair looks really nice now.' It's a bit like when people say 'you look really well' and you think 'did I look ill before?' But a compliment's a compliment. Another friend was told:' My God, Rubens would have had a field day with that body'. She says it was a long time ago and is grateful she didn't have body issues back then. Mind you, what Mr Grigg said to her sister-in-law was worse. She'd just announced she had lost two stone in weight. 'Christ,' he said. 'You must have been pretty hefty to start with then.'

I once put my foot in it at a friend's house. She was expecting her mum to call so when the doorbell rang, I went to answer it and said: 'Oh, you must be Michelle's mum.' The woman glared, nearly hit me with her handbag and said very tersely: 'No I'm bloody not.' To which I replied, quite cleverly I thought: 'Sorry, Michelle's looks so young, I naturally thought her mum would be young looking too.' It turns out the woman was younger than my friend. Oops, me and my big mouth.

I remember being told I had a behind like an arab mare. I was positively trotting with delight. Until the explanation followed: low slung.

But the best compliment so far was given to neighbour Night Nurse who was told her skirting boards were always so clean. Can you beat that?

That's about it
Love Maddie x

PS I have been told by someone in the village that my blog is a bit bland lately. Well, there are some things you just shouldn't blog. Especially when you are told 'Madge, shut the f***' up'. I am a coward at the best of times, so don't see why I should change now.

Comments

  1. Don't shut the F up Madge. This is the first of your blogs that I've read and I've found it quite entertaining. How's that for a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That shouldn't be anonymopus, I'm lampworkbeader from Purple Coo...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be back - this is too good to miss. I loved the post about the weekend in your old hometown. Some things are so weird that they have to be mostly true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never bland. Maddie and Bland in the same sentence don't go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're brave - I think I'd have a fit if I found that people in my village read my blog. Enjoyed this, my first visit, came from PC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I've got to strive for clean skirting boards now ? Does that involve being on all fours ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't get many compliments!! But I'll never forget a late aunt telling me how well I looked once. She was massively over weight.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re Sally's Chateau, Never mind the skirting boards, .......just get down there! Mr. G

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ps Can you believe my last word verification was 'noblaga', now what is that! Mr. G

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I'm from PC too. You've got me racking my brains now for a backhanded compliment... can't think of one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm catching up on your posts after a busy time at work - reading a few in one sitting has the certain makings of a novel - or at least a radio play!!! Get it published girl!!! Lucy (friend of Curious Girl, who put me onto you)!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day