Power Struggle

There is a power struggle going on in this house, hence the long time since my last blog.
We have just taken in a springer spaniel from a rescue centre in Devon to keep our howling dog company, only to find the old dog hates the new one. It's getting better, but there have been fights every now and then, whenever the old dog thinks the new one is getting attention and he isn't. And when I say old dog I don't mean my man. My man is surprisingly stress-free, although he starts to swear when he has to clear up the crap from the patio. I have cleared up several bloodstains from the kitchen floor but lately the two dogs have been cuddling in to each other. It's only when a familiar human comes on the horizon the fur starts to fly. We have been told new dog has a wonderful pedigree, so we're hoping its field trials ancestry will come to the fore when we go beating in the autumn. Until then, I am doing my damndest to keep the bloody thing under control on a lead. I cannot believe a family in the middle of Plymouth thought the city was a good place to bring up an energetic dog like a springer. What a mad world.

Breaking news
It has taken me half an hour to drive into town, a journey that normally takes me ten minutes. As I rounded the bend this morning, a car was stuck out in the middle of the lane, its hazard warning lights on and a bloody great lorry in front bearing the company name: 'YoungTurk', all the way from Instan-F-ing-Bull. What the hell was this doing in our quiet lanes is a mystery, although probably has something to do with the way SatNav technology directs drivers through the so-called 'quickest' route. Quickest, my arse. The irony is I've just finished drafting a moving piece of life writing about my grandfather who fought the Turks in Gallipoli in World War One and then get holed up by a Turkish lorry on my own doorstep. YoungTurk in bloody deed.

Three friends, my man and me and stepdaughter, 16, had a curry night on Saturday and then we all fell asleep watching Hot Fuzz. Curry from the local takeaway was fantastic, especially as it was free. They were so busy, they forgot to charge us. Had I been there, I would have said something but I wasn't so I couldn't. I had already seen Hot Fuzz before and loved it and this time managed to stay awake until the gunfight scene in Wells high street. I awoke under a blanket on the sofa to the sound of my own snoring.

My stepdaughter has been given antibiotics, yet again, for a cold. She seems to have three to eight courses of antiobotics every year. I thought doctors were meant to be stopping doing that? It's no wonder all these superbugs have taken hold. And surely all these antibiotics in one body can't do anyone much good, can they?

The village still hasn't got used to the new arrangements for recycling. It seems if one puts their box out, they all go out. Sheep!

That's about it
Love Maddie X

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And it's goodnight from me - I'm closing The World From My Window for the last time

Batten down those hatches, it's recycling day